How to do a Bohemian Updo
Learn how to do bohemian style Dutch braids and Fishtail braids quickly and easily by yourself. Then learn how to run the braids around your head so you can tie them into a messy and sexy bohemian style bun tucked behind your ear. Let’s get started by looking at the steps more closely to do a bohemian updo.
Step 1 - Getting Started
- Keep your natural part. If it’s messy, neaten it up a little bit with the tail of your comb.
- Starting with the front, you’re going to run the braids down around your head and tie them into a messy bun on the side.
- Remember to zig-zag your sections so you don’t end up having cornrows.
Step 2 - How to do a Fish Tail Braid
- Split your ponytail into two sections.
- Use your finger to separate a small section of your hair from the outside edge and cross it over into the middle.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
- Periodically, tug the hair in your hands to keep the pieces smooth and together.
- Continue alternating down the length of your hair and tie it at the bottom.
Step 3 - How to do a Dutch Braid
- Start with a 1” section and split it into 3 pieces.
- Wrap the right outside-piece underneath the centerpiece, and then the left outside-piece underneath the centerpiece.
- In each subsequent section, pick up a small section from the hanging hair to join and continue wrapping underneath.
- Alternate right and left sides like an inside out French braid.
- Tie it off with a plastic tie or a bobby pin and keep it all a little messy.
Step 4 - How to do a Bohemian Updo
- As you braid the back of your hair with Dutch and Fishtail braids, start braiding them towards the side of your head.
- Start pulling the hair in the braids out a little to make it a bit messy and add texture adding a little hairspray as you go.
- Once you’re happy with your texture, you can start pinning your hair into a messy bun.
- Use 2 bobby bins to create an anchor which is crossing them like an ‘X’ for the best security.
- Choose which braids you want to lay flat and which ones you want to use for a bit of a messier texture.
- Gently backcomb the hair that isn’t braided to create a little nest of fullness for your bun.
- Remember to spray as you go and hide any bobby pins or hair ties that may be exposed.
- Let the fly-aways stay loose and natural.